A very happy Festive Season to all my readers. I’d like to thank you for reading the blog, which is approaching its 10th birthday in February 2020, and for your thoughtful and interesting comments. Welcome to the 9th Edition of the Life on La Lune French Christmas Quiz, my little Christmas gift to readers. Twenty questions on aspects of French history, culture, language, cuisine, geography and politics with multiple choice answers.
A few rules:
- Try to answer without using the internet if you can. You are, however, authorised to search this blog, and you’ll find the answers to some of the questions buried here somewhere.
- Beware, there are a few questions where more than one answer might be correct.
- Please don’t post up your answers in the comments section below. It spoils it for everyone else.
- Don’t take it too seriously; it’s all in fun.
- There are no prizes. Virtue is its own reward.
- I will provide the correct answers on Sunday 29th December, so you have a week to puzzle over it.
A vos marques…prêt…partez !
- Which is the tallest man-made structure in France?
a) The Eiffel Tower
b) The Millau Viaduct
c) The Tour First
2. Which cathedral celebrated its 900th anniversary this year?
a) Sainte-Cécile in Albi
b) Saint-André in Bordeaux
c) Saint-Etienne in Cahors
3. A photo question. What is this building?
a) A barn
b) A pigeonnier
c) A church
4. Which famous work of art was hidden in the Abbaye de Loc-Dieu during World War II?
a) Delacroix’s ‘Liberty Leading the People’
b) Leonardo’s ‘Mona Lisa’
c) Rodin’s ‘The Kiss’
5. What is a cochonnet?
a) A piglet
b) An unpleasant person
c) A small ball used in boules
6. What is the English meaning of “un gros bonnet”?
a) A bighead
b) A bigwig
c) A big baby
7. Which flower is a symbol of those who have died for France?
8. In which French town was Marcel Pagnol born?
9. How often are French municipal elections held?
a) Every 4 years
b) Every 6 years
c) Every 7 years
10. What was a maladrerie?
a) A medieval prison
b) A house of ill repute
c) A leper colony
11. What symbol was a female farm worker supposed to wear when looking for work at a hiring fair?
a) A hen’s feather
b) An ear of wheat
c) A twist of wool
12. When was the last person executed by the guillotine in France?
13. What is a distinctive ingredient of pounti, an Auvergne pâté?
14. The cultivation of which foodstuff was banned in France for a while during the 18th century?
15. Which grape variety must make up at least 40% of a Fronton wine to achieve appellation status?
16 Which of the following alcoholic drinks is not allowed in the French workplace by law?
17. Which of the following is not made from grapes?
18. For how long was Louis XIX King of France?
a) 20 minutes
b) 20 days
c) 20 weeks
19. Apart from Emmanuel Macron, who currently holds the record (39), who was the youngest President of France at the time of taking office?
a) Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte
b) Raymond Poincaré
c) Valéry Giscard d’Estaing
20. How long did the Hundred Years War actually go on for?
a) 96 years
b) 103 years
c) 116 years
Have a great Christmas, and I’ll be back with the answers in a week’s time.
Copyright © Life on La Lune 2019. All rights reserved.
A very merry Christmas to you too, Vanessa!! I love reading your stories, and the Christmas quiz is the icing on the cake for me! I’ve got my answers at the ready!! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
And to you! My husband has also done his answers, but you’ll both have to wait until next Sunday! In the meantime, enjoy your Christmas 🎄break.
LikeLiked by 1 person